This week I'm briefly interrupting the currently ongoing series of "Building with ChatGPT" to discuss the intersection of AI and web3 and take a look at a few interesting crypto projects that are already utilising AI (make sure to read through to the end of the post to get access to a free database of 50+ such projects).
If you've been following "Building with ChatGPT" and would like to get more frequent updates on the Youtube summarisation program that was built over the last weeks, then read along on Twitter.
"Building with ChatGPT" will return next week with some code updates and thoughts about prompt engineering.
Two rapidly growing technologies that are changing our society
AI and web3 growth in the past decade has been staggering.
While businesses have been making use of AI for a longer time already, the general public had it's first big "AI-aha" moment with the releases of generative AI programs such as DALL-E, ChatGPT and Midjourney. Both Google and Microsoft are also betting heavily on AI by integrating it into their core products.
Web3 and blockchain growth has also been strong. While the industry is currently in a lull - in part due to the current financial environment - there was a time not too long ago where Bitcoin and NFTs were on everybodys tongue.
Individually these technologies are are already changing and will continue to change our societies. Here are just a few examples:
- AI will lead to self-driving cars, changing the way we move from point A to point B; generative AI will disrupt the creative and content creation industry; and finally, it may threathen humanity itself once we reach AGI (Artificial General Intelligence)
- Web3 and blockchains will continue to disrupt the financial system; bank the unbanked; change the way we work through DAOs; and create new monetisation options for creators
However since both technologies are relatively speaking young, there has been comparatively little thought given to the intersection of AI and web3. Here are some of the things that come to mind:
- Democrated Access to AI: Right now, larger companies have an advantage in AI because of the computing power required to train the models. Decentralised computing power with a tokenised economic model could help democratise AI training. In addition, a blockchain-based marketplace for AI models can also help making models more accessible.
- Putting the "Autononomous" back into DAO: The term "Decentralised Autonomous Organisations" is a bit of a misnomer in the blockchain world. Most DAOs require a lot of human intervention to function properly (and are in fact built around communities). AI could lead to really autonomous organisations that function without human intervention.
- Blockchain verified AI detection: The profileration of AI will lead to more deep fakes and more fake news. The blockchain could be used to verify the "realness" of certain kinds of media and AI could also be used to try to help to detect and flag AI generated content.
- AI driven consensus: Blockchains today are utilising Proof of Work and Proof of Stake for reaching consensus. But both methods have their own disadvantages - an AI driven consensus mechanism could potentially be a third option.
- Supply Chains: Today, supply chains still suffer from traceability and transparency issues. This can make it hard to optimise them. If the traceability and transparency issue can be solved with blockchain, then AI could solve the optimisation issue, making supply chains more efficient.
Crypto projects building with AI
I've spend a few days on researching the current progress crypto projects have made with integrating AI into their product. The space is still relatively new, meaning that there is not a lot of projects out there yet. Plus, a lot of the projects are still very early in the process of merging AI and blockchain. Broadly speaking the most popular categories are infrastructure and metaverse.
Here's three concrete examples - you can find the full list of 50+ projects down below:
Web3 x AI Directory
This directory lists 50+ Web3/Crypto/Metaverse projects that are integrating AI/Machine Learning technologies into their products or supporting it in another way.